All terms are general neutral unless specified.
- fúwùyuán 服务员 = waiter/waitress/worker
- lǎobǎn 老板 = boss/owner
- *xiǎojiě 小姐 / xiǎo gūniang 小姑娘 = girl
- *huǒji 伙计 = guy
Workers with specific skills (e.g. taxi driver, shoe shiner, etc)
- shīfu 师傅 = master
Young people talk
Walking down the street (not in a business)
Could also be used for friends of the family
- bóbo 伯伯/dàye 大爷 = uncle (man older than father)
- shūshu 叔叔 = uncle (man younger than father)
- dàniáng 大娘 / dàmā 大妈 = auntie (woman older than mother)
- āyí 阿姨 = auntie (woman younger than mother)
*NOTE: While I hear people say these, I don’t say them myself because I’ve been told they can have negative connotations or may make some people uncomfortable.